“If you earned it, eat it.”
— IFBB Pro Ben Pakulski
Eating is one of the many great joys in life, but so is being comfortable in your own skin. There is a saying, “Food never tastes as good as being in shape feels.” Well, I’m here to tell you they are both good! And you are missing out by having one without the other. So can you indulge without bulging over? Absolutely! Here are some important points to remember:
- If you have the goal of losing a significant amount of weight, don’t kid yourself; you’re better off saving the cheat until you reach your goal.
- Work up an appetite; don’t try to purge your sins on the treadmill. Doing so is an exercise in frustration.
- Have what you want! Don’t settle for substitutions.
- Treat a cheat like any other meal. Once you’re satisfied, there is no need to stuff yourself. Avoid the “clean your plate” club (I’m guilty of this, too!).
- Just because it’s a cheat, doesn’t mean you need to aim for the shittiest foods possible. I’m a fan of “wholesome” versions of junk food (what an oxymoron). All that means is that I look for the purest ingredients, even if the meal is loaded in fat, carbs and sodium.
- If you’re a sweet tooth, make a meal out of dessert.
- Cardio is actually a very inefficient way to burn fat. Get on a regular weight training routine, which will improve your metabolism.
The day after your cheat, you will weigh up to 3 pounds more on the scale. I’ve gone as high as 8 pounds! Don’t be frustrated; this is a lot of water retention from the high carbs and sodium. Get back to your normal routine and you’ll shed water like a dog sheds fur. Happy cheating!